Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin
I had hoped to get to this last week sorry for the delay I had a pressing business issue come up that had to be addressed right off so I am playing catch up in getting my updates out and the expansion of this away from just fried chicken into other areas. One of the things I am doing with this recipes release is starting a new Pinterest Group board just for this site and category the new broader one that is. It will now deserve its own as I hope to expand this site quite a bit over time. So feel free to pin away.
Now my choice to go away from just fried chicken was a long one in coming this is actual one of my oldest sites and one of only two that didn’t get rebranded under the “Amazing” tag when I started to consolidate my old larger network into a set of small core group of broader site. I had originally intended to cover other cooking ideas in a future meat site but I realized that poultry and game are such a broad group on their own so to dilute it any further would not do it justice.
As for this recipe it is not often I do quail as my guy’s kind of look at them as snack food or like big nuggets. But on special date nights with my main guy it is a nice treat for the two of us. This is a nice recipe for a special dinner for two feel free to cut back a bit and only make two if the mood so choices. I personally like this dish with either the pumpkin or the sweet potato although Ken prefers the later. It is a fairly easy recipe on the grill and I like these better on a none charcoal fire as it is easier with the bacon to control temps and don’t put it on direct heat or you are going to have flare up issues and with charcoal that means a mess. So save this for the gas grill.
- 2 wooden skewers, soaked in water for an hour
- 4 whole quail
- 8 slices of bacon, thick cut
- 4 large cubes pumpkin or sweet potato
- 4 tablespoons butter, unsalted and melted
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rosemary (optional)
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary to garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by soaking your skewers in water for at least an hour overnight is best.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Season the birds with salt and pepper all over.
- Wrap each quail with two slices of bacon and secure with wooden toothpicks that have also been soaked in water.
- In a microwave safe dish melt the butter with the brown sugar and Worchester sauce and add the rosemary if using.
- Take one skewer and thread a chunk of the pumpkin or sweet potato onto it then one of the quails and another chunk of pumpkin or potato and another quail then finally another chunk of potato or pumpkin.
- Baste the quail and pumpkin with eh butter mix and place on an indirect heat on the grill.
- Make sure to rotate the skewers often to ensure even cooking and cook until the juices in the leg joint run clear and the vegetables are tender. About 25 to 35 minutes baste often throughout the process and serve hot garnished with fresh rosemary.
- NOTE: Keep a spray bottle with water handy to knock down any flare ups from the bacon.
Ok I know I said I wasn’t going to cover grilled chicken here and as a general rule I am not going to cover grilled items. As I wanted to start spreading the categories out as fast as possible though I decide on a very simple game recipe for quail wrapped in bacon and really the best way to do the little darlings is on the grill. If the bacon isn’t enough to keep the cute little feathery friends moist I also hit it with a special basting sauce that adds a nice sweetness and flavor to the birds. As you will discover one of my favorite herbs to do when in essence roasting poultry is rosemary it just is so nice with it and it is my go to herb in this area whether it be roast well anything in this genre.
Leave a Reply
- Braised Goose Breast with Spicy Honey Orange Cointreau Sauce May 10, 2016
- Pheasant and Pork Pie May 9, 2016
- Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon May 6, 2016
- Rosemary Roasted Partridge with Bacon April 26, 2016
- Roasted Mallard Duck Breast April 26, 2016
- Turkey Meatballs in Pineapple Curry April 23, 2016
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin April 13, 2016
- Site Update Announcement on Our Progress April 6, 2016
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry Served with Basmati Rice April 4, 2016
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts April 3, 2016
- Breaded Chicken Tenders Recipe (214750 Views)
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts (193752 Views)
- Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe – Extra Crispy Fried Chicken (156731 Views)
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe (70848 Views)
- Home (63418 Views)
- Milk and Egg Makes This Fried Chicken Batter Thick and Crispy Yet Tender and Juicy (40010 Views)
- Cashew Chicken Recipe (34508 Views)
- Authentic Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe (33041 Views)
- Heavy Batter Southern Fried Chicken with Garlic (21844 Views)
- Easy Fried Chicken Wings with Mexican Bean Salad (21830 Views)