Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon
I don’t know why it took me so long to think of adding stuffing recipes to the site but for some reason it dawned on me the other day while thinking of new areas to go into on the site’s new path. What is more synonymous with chicken and bird recipes than stuffing? I mean what would thanksgiving be without the dressing to go with the bird it would be like losing an arm in a culinary sense of the word. I cannot think of a whole roasted bird that isn’t elevated by the addition of a good stuffing recipe.
Well considering the name is still Southern Fried Chicken what stuffing recipe says southern cuisine like cornbread? I mean it is almost as famous in the south as grits. Also if you happened to notice I even managed to sneak a little bacon into the recipe wonder how that managed to happen no one I know likes pig candy here do they? Well in this case I think you’ll agree my twist on this southern classic accompaniment is a plus. I also list a couple optional ingredients in the way of cranberries and pecans now the cranberries is my New England girl heritage sneaking into the recipe as where the pecans are all southerner.
Now these two additional ingredients are merely a personal preference use one, use both, or omit it altogether, it is what you like that counts. They all go well together or without there is enough going on to make it work wonderfully too. Now I give directions to cook it in a baking pan you can easily stuff it in the bird and it will gain the flavor of the cooking juices if so make it a bit drier or it might end up to wet after roasting. This recipe may even become your go to turkey day dressing of choice it is truly that good but don’t wait for the holiday to try it, it really is good for any time of year.
- 1 bag Pepperidge Farm, Cornbread Stuffing
- 8 slices bacon thick-cut, in ½ inch
- 1¼ cups Kitchen Basics No Salt Stock, Chicken
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1⅓ cup celery, sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 egg, well beaten
- ½ cup dried cranberries, (optional)
- ½ cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- Butter, to grease baking dish
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a skillet sauté the bacon until almost crisp about 85% done then add the garlic, mushrooms, and onion and sauté until the onion and mushrooms are soft and lightly browned drain the grease and add to a large glass bowl.
- Pour the cornbread mix into the bowl and give it a toss to blend. Add the pecans and cranberries if using and toss again.
- In a bowl add the seasonings and egg and whisk until well blended then pour this over the stuffing mixture.
- Mix in the liquid a little at a time and toss gently to blend until the mixture is fairly moist, but not too wet; you might have to add a bit more stock or stuffing mix depending on how moist the stuffing is.
- In the microwave cook a small sampling so you can taste it and adjust the seasoning as need be also add salt and pepper at this time as you feel is needed for your taste buds.
- In a large baking dish preferable stoneware grease it with a stick of butter to prevent sticking and to help add flavor. Pour your stuffing mix into baking dish and spread out so it is even.
- Place it in your oven and bake for around thirty minutes or until fully heat through and the top is crispy.
Nothing says the south when it comes to stuffing like cornbread and somehow I manage to get a bit of my New England girl heritage in as recipe optional additions. Now I have to admit not all cornbread stuffing uses bacon but you know me I think it is a food group and try to sneak it into recipes whenever appropriate. This recipe is just one of those occasions where it truly enhances the overall dish by adding it in. It also is a wonderful way to add flavor in the onions and mushrooms. One of my favorite flavor profiles is bacon and onion and I am even known to make it into a sandwich it is that good to me.
Leave a Reply
- Braised Goose Breast with Spicy Honey Orange Cointreau Sauce May 10, 2016
- Pheasant and Pork Pie May 9, 2016
- Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon May 6, 2016
- Rosemary Roasted Partridge with Bacon April 26, 2016
- Roasted Mallard Duck Breast April 26, 2016
- Turkey Meatballs in Pineapple Curry April 23, 2016
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin April 13, 2016
- Site Update Announcement on Our Progress April 6, 2016
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry Served with Basmati Rice April 4, 2016
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts April 3, 2016
- Breaded Chicken Tenders Recipe (214650 Views)
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts (171281 Views)
- Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe – Extra Crispy Fried Chicken (156566 Views)
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe (70687 Views)
- Home (63376 Views)
- Milk and Egg Makes This Fried Chicken Batter Thick and Crispy Yet Tender and Juicy (39919 Views)
- Cashew Chicken Recipe (34428 Views)
- Authentic Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe (32894 Views)
- Easy Fried Chicken Wings with Mexican Bean Salad (21779 Views)
- Heavy Batter Southern Fried Chicken with Garlic (21769 Views)