Spicy Southern Fried Chicken Recipe with Buttermilk
If you like the look of this southern batter fried chicken recipe but you prefer recipes which are not too spicy, you could omit the hot sauce from this one, both from the marinating liquid and the egg wash. Learning how to make southern fried chicken is not difficult at all and there are lots of recipes to choose from. This southern fried chicken recipe is especially tasty.
A lot of chefs swear by marinating the chicken overnight in buttermilk, no matter which southern batter fried chicken recipe you are going to make with it. Buttermilk makes the chicken really tender and infuses it with a delicious flavor. This step is optional but once you have tried it you will probably always want to marinate the chicken overnight before making southern fried chicken recipes.
This is a very crispy dish and you can serve the chicken with mashed potatoes or French fries. If you want to delight your family this is a very good southern fried chicken recipe to choose and it always comes out delicious. The balance of spiciness and flavor is great and the hot sauce gives this fried chicken recipe a kick without overpowering the other flavors.
- 2 ½ lbs fryer chicken
- 1 container buttermilk mixed with ¼ cup hot sauce
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup hot red pepper sauce
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup potato buds
- 1 cup self rising flour
- ½ cup cracker meal
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon finely crushed marjoram leaves
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon crushed basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Marinate the chicken overnight in the hot sauce and buttermilk.
- Beat the water and eggs in a bowl, adding enough sauce to make the mixture orange.
- Mix the cracker meal, cornmeal, flour and potato buds in another bowl.
- Stir in some of the fried chicken seasoning mix and keep the rest in an airtight container for future recipes.
- Season the chicken with some more of the fried chicken seasoning, and then dip it in the flour mixture.
- Dip it in the egg and then in the flour mixture again.
- Heat the oil to 375 degrees F in a deep pan and fry the chicken until it is crispy and browned all over.
- Remember that dark meat takes longer to cook that white meat.
- White meat will take about 9 minutes to cook and dark meat will take 14 minutes.
This spicy southern fried chicken recipe delivers a kick without being too spicy. The hot red pepper sauce gives the chicken an attractive orange color and the more you use the more orange it will look (and the spicier it will get!) This mouthwatering spicy southern fried chicken recipe is simple to make and you can serve it with any side dishes you fancy. This is also a nice dish to make if you are having a party, buffet or large gathering. When you have made this delicious fried chicken recipe once, you will definitely want to repeat the experience.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 04-05-16
Leave a Reply
- Braised Goose Breast with Spicy Honey Orange Cointreau Sauce May 10, 2016
- Pheasant and Pork Pie May 9, 2016
- Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon May 6, 2016
- Rosemary Roasted Partridge with Bacon April 26, 2016
- Roasted Mallard Duck Breast April 26, 2016
- Turkey Meatballs in Pineapple Curry April 23, 2016
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin April 13, 2016
- Site Update Announcement on Our Progress April 6, 2016
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry Served with Basmati Rice April 4, 2016
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts April 3, 2016
- Breaded Chicken Tenders Recipe (214693 Views)
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts (182279 Views)
- Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe – Extra Crispy Fried Chicken (156629 Views)
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe (70752 Views)
- Home (63393 Views)
- Milk and Egg Makes This Fried Chicken Batter Thick and Crispy Yet Tender and Juicy (39960 Views)
- Cashew Chicken Recipe (34463 Views)
- Authentic Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe (32962 Views)
- Heavy Batter Southern Fried Chicken with Garlic (21804 Views)
- Easy Fried Chicken Wings with Mexican Bean Salad (21802 Views)