Southern Fried Chicken with Real Southern Taste
The chicken in this southern fried chicken recipe is seasoned with salt and pepper and then soaked in an egg and evaporated milk mixture. Evaporated milk is milk which has had most of its water content removed by evaporation. It is not sweet like condensed milk, so don’t confuse the two when making this fried chicken recipe unless you want it to taste like dessert!
After this, a paprika, garlic and thyme flavored coating is used and the chicken is fried to perfection. You will like this recipe if you like a subtle herb flavor with your southern fried chicken. Peanut oil is a good oil for cooking fried chicken recipes because it does not give flavor and has a high smoking point. You could use another oil if you would rather, perhaps vegetable oil or canola oil. Different people like different flavors and the high smoking point is the main concern when making deep fried chicken recipes.
The egg and milk mixture gives the flour mixture something to stick to and it also gives a creamy flavor to the chicken. Not many deep fried chicken recipes use evaporated milk as one of the ingredients but it does give an interesting taste and is worth trying. Southern fried chicken can be made in all different ways and sometimes it is good to try herby batter recipes like this one.
- 3 lbs chicken
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 quart vegetable oil
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- ½ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 beaten eggs
- Cut the chicken into 8 pieces and season them with salt and pepper.
- Combine the milk, eggs and water, then add the chicken to this mixture and set it to one side.
- Mix the thyme, paprika, garlic powder and flour in a bag and shake it well to blend.
- Take the chicken out of the milk mixture and shake it in the bag with the flour mixture.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over a medium heat.
- Shake the excess flour off the chicken and drop it into the hot vegetable oil.
- Cook the chicken for about 9 minutes per side for legs and thighs or about 5 minutes per side for breasts.
- When the chicken pieces are cooked through and golden brown, drain them on paper towels.
If you are a fan of hot, crispy deep fried chicken recipes, you will really like this southern fried chicken. The crunchy, herb-infused batter contrasts amazingly with the soft, tender and juicy pieces of chicken inside. Serve this fried chicken recipe with your favorite side dishes, perhaps mashed potatoes and green beans, and your family will agree that this is one of the most mouthwatering dinners ever. Homemade fried chicken recipes can be just as good as restaurant fried chicken and, in many cases, far better. There is nothing difficult about making fried chicken at home and there are lots of different recipes you can choose from.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 04-05-16
Leave a Reply
- Braised Goose Breast with Spicy Honey Orange Cointreau Sauce May 10, 2016
- Pheasant and Pork Pie May 9, 2016
- Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon May 6, 2016
- Rosemary Roasted Partridge with Bacon April 26, 2016
- Roasted Mallard Duck Breast April 26, 2016
- Turkey Meatballs in Pineapple Curry April 23, 2016
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin April 13, 2016
- Site Update Announcement on Our Progress April 6, 2016
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry Served with Basmati Rice April 4, 2016
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts April 3, 2016
- Breaded Chicken Tenders Recipe (214690 Views)
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts (182114 Views)
- Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe – Extra Crispy Fried Chicken (156627 Views)
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe (70751 Views)
- Home (63392 Views)
- Milk and Egg Makes This Fried Chicken Batter Thick and Crispy Yet Tender and Juicy (39958 Views)
- Cashew Chicken Recipe (34460 Views)
- Authentic Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe (32961 Views)
- Heavy Batter Southern Fried Chicken with Garlic (21804 Views)
- Easy Fried Chicken Wings with Mexican Bean Salad (21798 Views)