Southern Classic Fried Chicken with a Touch of Honey
This southern batter fried chicken is really tasty. The combination of sweet honey and spicy cayenne pepper give it an amazing flavor. If you want to know how to make southern fried chicken which is juicy and succulent, this is a great recipe to follow. You can use chicken breast halves, chicken thighs or a mixture of different chicken pieces, as long as you remember that white meat cooks faster than dark meat and time the frying accordingly.
The chicken in this southern classic fried chicken recipe is marinated with a honey and vinegar mixture to give it a unique flavor. It is then drenched in creamy buttermilk and coated in flour and breadcrumbs for a delicious coating. Southern fried chicken is famous for its crispy coating and this recipe will not disappoint you.
This is one of the juiciest and most delicious southern fried chicken recipes of all and whether you choose to serve it with mashed potatoes, French fries or another side dish it is guaranteed to be a hit with the family. The honey gives it a wonderful sweetness and the vinegar ensures it isn’t too sweet. The buttermilk flavor is also great with the chicken and buttermilk is used in a lot of the best southern fried chicken recipes.
- 4 lbs chicken pieces
- 2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- ½ cup honey
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar or raspberry vinegar
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 or 2 minced garlic cloves (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley (optional)
- Mix the vinegar with the honey and pour this over the chicken.
- Leave it to marinate for 3 hours in the refrigerator and stir it occasionally. Mix the breadcrumbs, cayenne pepper and flour together.
- You can also add the garlic and/or parsley at this point, if using.
- Whisk the buttermilk and eggs in another bowl.
- Heat the oil to 300 degrees F in a big skillet.
- Don't let it get any hotter than that because honey doesn't do well at high temperatures.
- Take the chicken out of the marinade and drain it on paper towels. Dip the chicken in the buttermilk mixture, and then season it using salt and black pepper.
- Dredge it in the flour mixture and make sure it is well coated. Drop the wings, thighs and legs in the oil and cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown on one side.
- Turn the chicken pieces over and add the breast halves to the pan.
- Keep cooking the chicken. You might need to adjust the heat to get the chicken to brown evenly on both sides.
- The dark meat will take about 16 minutes to cook and the breast halves will take about 11 minutes.
- When the chicken is cooked through and golden brown all over, drain it on paper towels and serve.
This southern batter fried chicken recipe is one of the nicest ways to cook chicken. Soaking the chicken in a honey marinade gives it a sweet yet subtle flavor and the buttermilk, cayenne and other ingredients make it really mouthwatering. This is a popular recipe to try if you want to know how to make southern fried chicken that tastes really good. Hot chicken pieces which are fried to perfection are a real comfort food and fried chicken is one of the most delicious dinners of all time.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 04-14-16
Leave a Reply
- Braised Goose Breast with Spicy Honey Orange Cointreau Sauce May 10, 2016
- Pheasant and Pork Pie May 9, 2016
- Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon May 6, 2016
- Rosemary Roasted Partridge with Bacon April 26, 2016
- Roasted Mallard Duck Breast April 26, 2016
- Turkey Meatballs in Pineapple Curry April 23, 2016
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin April 13, 2016
- Site Update Announcement on Our Progress April 6, 2016
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry Served with Basmati Rice April 4, 2016
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts April 3, 2016
- Breaded Chicken Tenders Recipe (214690 Views)
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts (182143 Views)
- Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe – Extra Crispy Fried Chicken (156627 Views)
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe (70751 Views)
- Home (63392 Views)
- Milk and Egg Makes This Fried Chicken Batter Thick and Crispy Yet Tender and Juicy (39958 Views)
- Cashew Chicken Recipe (34460 Views)
- Authentic Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe (32961 Views)
- Heavy Batter Southern Fried Chicken with Garlic (21804 Views)
- Easy Fried Chicken Wings with Mexican Bean Salad (21798 Views)