Chicken Fried Steak Recipe
Do you just love Southern cooking you are looking for a quick and easy recipe to make for your family tonight? Try this chicken fried steak and find out what all the fuss is about. Yes, chicken fried steak really is that good!
This chicken fried steak recipe will bring visions of the South and down home, rib-sticking food to mind. As the popular queen of southern cooking portrays, this is the epitome of the good old South.
A serving platter of tender beef steak seasoned, battered and fried to a golden perfection, a covered tureen of rich creamy milk gravy, a bowel of sweet buttered whole kernel corn, and a cloth covered basket of steamy hot buttermilk biscuits bring images of a cowboy chuck wagon triangular dinner bell with the clangor ringing the call to dinner.
Unlike in the old West chuck wagon days, this chicken fried steak recipe will not take most of the afternoon to prepare. In fact, it will take less than an hour provided your steaks are already thawed (if they were frozen) and you follow the simple step-by-step directions below. In no time flat you will be cooking up these juicy chicken fried steaks like you had been born and bred in the deep Savannah south!
As well as the meat, you will need buttermilk, eggs, shortening and a couple more ingredients, and you will see this is a very simple recipe to prepare, so simple in fact you might want to add this crispy chicken fried steak recipe to your weekly menu rotation and make it for your family on a regular basis.
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 quart milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 lb boneless beef top loin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups shortening
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cut the meat crosswise into 4 cutlets and pound each one thinly with a moistened mallet or the side of a cleaver.
- Heat ½ inch of shortening In a skillet to 365 degrees F.
- While the shortening is heating, prepare the cutlets.
- Beat the egg with the buttermilk and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Mix the garlic powder and 1 cup of flour in another bowl.
- Dip the cutlets in the flour, turning to evenly coat both sides.
- Dip them in the egg mixture, coating both sides, then in flour mixture once again.
- Place the cutlets in heated shortening and cook until golden brown, turning once.
- Transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Repeat with the remaining cutlets.
- Drain the grease, reserving ½ cup.
- Using the reserved drippings in the pan, make a gravy over a medium heat.
- Blend in the last ¼ cup flour to form a paste then gradually add the milk to get the desired consistency, stirring constantly.
- For a thicker gravy add less milk; for a thinner gravy stir in more.
- Heat through, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the gravy over the chicken fried steak.
Chicken fried steak is a typical Southern dish, and just the mention of it will get your mouth watering if you like this kind of fare. The picture shows what you can expect if you choose to make this recipe. You can see the crispiness of the meat, the creaminess of the gravy, and a sprinkling of herbs to finish it off perfectly. Bread and corn would make nice side dishes, or else consider mashed potatoes or even white rice. Chicken fried steak is so simple to make, and this makes a lovely comfort food style dinner for the whole family.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 04-06-16
Leave a Reply
- Braised Goose Breast with Spicy Honey Orange Cointreau Sauce May 10, 2016
- Pheasant and Pork Pie May 9, 2016
- Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon May 6, 2016
- Rosemary Roasted Partridge with Bacon April 26, 2016
- Roasted Mallard Duck Breast April 26, 2016
- Turkey Meatballs in Pineapple Curry April 23, 2016
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin April 13, 2016
- Site Update Announcement on Our Progress April 6, 2016
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry Served with Basmati Rice April 4, 2016
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts April 3, 2016
- Breaded Chicken Tenders Recipe (214690 Views)
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts (182095 Views)
- Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe – Extra Crispy Fried Chicken (156627 Views)
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe (70751 Views)
- Home (63392 Views)
- Milk and Egg Makes This Fried Chicken Batter Thick and Crispy Yet Tender and Juicy (39958 Views)
- Cashew Chicken Recipe (34460 Views)
- Authentic Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe (32961 Views)
- Heavy Batter Southern Fried Chicken with Garlic (21804 Views)
- Easy Fried Chicken Wings with Mexican Bean Salad (21798 Views)