Panko Pistachio-Crusted Fried Chicken
This is a delicious recipe, and the fried chicken is absolutely bursting with flavor. We recommend boneless skinless chicken breast halves for this recipe, but if you prefer drumsticks or thighs instead, or mixed chicken pieces, those are also fine. You might need to adjust the cooking time a little. The juices will run clear when the chicken is done.
Wonderful Flavors in the Coating
There are some bold-tasting ingredients in this recipe, such as the Dijon mustard and pistachios, each of which offers a strong and distinctive flavor, and then you also have the aromatic, fragrant taste of the herbs. In combination with the crunchy panko breadcrumbs, this all goes together beautifully to make the most delicious batter for your chicken. The coated chicken is first cooked in a pan on the stove and then finished off in the oven. If you want to deep-fry it instead, that is fine. Either cooking method works well, so it just depends on what you happen to prefer. Perhaps you are looking for a brand new way of making fried chicken, in which case you should consider this amazing recipe.
Serve the finished pistachio fried chicken with a creamy sauce. Perhaps you have a favorite dressing or sauce already, or else you can combine lemon juice and parmesan with mayonnaise and mustard, adding small quantities until the flavor is just right, and serve it on the side. Add some flavorful side dishes such as green salad or steamed vegetables, some fries or mashed potatoes, or perhaps some cornbread and coleslaw. This makes a heavenly meal.
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 oz shelled raw pistachios
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- ¼ cup prepared Dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Finely grind the nuts in a food processor, then add the panko and pulse a few times.
- Transfer this mixture into a shallow baking dish.
- Combine the mustard with the dill, basil and rosemary in a bowl.
- Spread the mustard mixture over both sides of the chicken.
- Dip the chicken into the nut mixture, making sure it is completely coated.
- Sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over a medium heat.
- Add 2 of the chicken breasts to the skillet and pan-fry for 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Transfer the chicken to a baking sheet.
- Remove any leftover nuts from the skillet and discard.
- Repeat with the remaining 2 chicken breasts, adding some more oil to the skillet if necessary.
- Bake the chicken for 7 minutes or until it is cooked through.
This is an unusual recipe, and one which is well worth making. Chicken is smothered in herbed mustard and then coated in a crispy pistachio and panko breadcrumb coating. The flavor is incredible and you can expect a lovely, crunchy exterior and juicy, moist chicken inside. This is very simple to prepare and you can also rustle up all your favorite Southern side dishes to go with the chicken, or else serve it with a healthy salad like you can see in the picture, for a contrast in flavors and textures.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 04-05-16
Leave a Reply
- Braised Goose Breast with Spicy Honey Orange Cointreau Sauce May 10, 2016
- Pheasant and Pork Pie May 9, 2016
- Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon May 6, 2016
- Rosemary Roasted Partridge with Bacon April 26, 2016
- Roasted Mallard Duck Breast April 26, 2016
- Turkey Meatballs in Pineapple Curry April 23, 2016
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin April 13, 2016
- Site Update Announcement on Our Progress April 6, 2016
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry Served with Basmati Rice April 4, 2016
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts April 3, 2016
- Breaded Chicken Tenders Recipe (214696 Views)
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts (182587 Views)
- Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe – Extra Crispy Fried Chicken (156629 Views)
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe (70757 Views)
- Home (63394 Views)
- Milk and Egg Makes This Fried Chicken Batter Thick and Crispy Yet Tender and Juicy (39960 Views)
- Cashew Chicken Recipe (34463 Views)
- Authentic Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe (32965 Views)
- Easy Fried Chicken Wings with Mexican Bean Salad (21804 Views)
- Heavy Batter Southern Fried Chicken with Garlic (21804 Views)