Oven-Fried Chicken with a Crispy Cornflake Crust
This recipe is a real winner and the whole family will love it. The chicken is coated in a flour, egg, milk and seasoning mixture, then in the cornflakes. It is drizzled with butter and then baked in the oven, and it will come out perfectly crunchy and delicious. This is a recipe you will definitely want to print out or bookmark, because the results are great.
Why Cornflakes Make a Great Coating
Cornflakes are naturally crispy, and whether you crush them up or use them whole, they make a wonderful coating for your chicken. They look great on the finished chicken and their flavor suits the taste of the meat. Because of this corn flavor you will probably not want to serve corn on the cob or cornbread with the finished dish, because that would be corn overkill! Fortunately there are plenty of other delicious side dishes for fried chicken, such as coleslaw, fries, green salad, or anything else you are in the mood for.
Some people recommend brining the chicken for 4 hours in 4 cups of water with a handful of kosher salt and a handful of white sugar added. This is optional but it does improve the texture and make the chicken extra-moist. The paprika and garlic in our recipe are optional ingredients so, if you do not have them, just leave them out, and the recipe will still turn out really well. Throw some cayenne pepper in there too if you want to spice the dish up a little.
- 3 lbs chicken pieces
- 1¾ cups cornflake crumbs
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a shallow pan with foil or spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat the egg in a bowl and stir in the milk.
- Mix in the flour, salt and black pepper until the batter is smooth.
- You can add some smoked paprika and/or garlic to this mixture too if you want.
- Put the cornflakes in a bowl.
- Dip the chicken in the batter, then roll it in the cornflakes.
- Arrange the chicken in the prepared shallow pan.
- Drizzle the melted butter over it.
- Bake the chicken uncovered for 45 minutes to an hour, or until cooked through.
- Do not flip the chicken while it is cooking.
Using cornflakes to coat your chicken might be an unusual idea to you, but we would urge you to try this recipe because it really is tasty, and the fact it is oven-fried means you get all that flavor and crunch without having to use a deep-fryer. At about 370 calories per serving, this is not going to interfere with your diet either. If you usually have your cornflakes for breakfast, try this recipe instead. This cereal is more versatile than a lot people think! It is a fact chicken and corn are great together, which is why corn on the cob and cornbread are popular fried chicken side dishes, but use cornflakes in the actual recipe and you get the best of both worlds in one.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 04-05-16
Leave a Reply
- Braised Goose Breast with Spicy Honey Orange Cointreau Sauce May 10, 2016
- Pheasant and Pork Pie May 9, 2016
- Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon May 6, 2016
- Rosemary Roasted Partridge with Bacon April 26, 2016
- Roasted Mallard Duck Breast April 26, 2016
- Turkey Meatballs in Pineapple Curry April 23, 2016
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin April 13, 2016
- Site Update Announcement on Our Progress April 6, 2016
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry Served with Basmati Rice April 4, 2016
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts April 3, 2016
- Breaded Chicken Tenders Recipe (214742 Views)
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts (191055 Views)
- Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe – Extra Crispy Fried Chicken (156718 Views)
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe (70834 Views)
- Home (63414 Views)
- Milk and Egg Makes This Fried Chicken Batter Thick and Crispy Yet Tender and Juicy (40004 Views)
- Cashew Chicken Recipe (34501 Views)
- Authentic Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe (33027 Views)
- Heavy Batter Southern Fried Chicken with Garlic (21842 Views)
- Easy Fried Chicken Wings with Mexican Bean Salad (21826 Views)