Hot and Spicy Fried Chicken Fresh From the Oven
This spicy oven fried chicken recipe takes a little more effort than some other southern fried chicken recipes but the results are well worth it. It tastes just like fried chicken but is oven baked, so it is healthier too. The ingredients in this spicy oven fried chicken recipe include thyme, mustard, cayenne pepper, garlic and more, for a really delicious flavor. Often, when you use ingredients like these in a marinade, they combine in an incredible way over the marinating time and give the chicken a really aromatic flavor instead of overpowering it. Marinated chicken is delicious and this is one of the best marinades if you are going to coat and fry the chicken afterwards.
Do not worry about the hot pepper sauce because the chicken only picks up some of the spiciness. If you want to, you can use chipotle peppers instead of hot pepper sauce in this recipe. If you prefer mild chicken you can leave it out altogether but it does add to the end flavor so you might want to use a bit.
You can serve this oven fried chicken recipe with potato salad and fried green tomatoes for a real southern meal. Alternatively it is good with green beans and mashed potato.
- 12 pieces of chicken with bones in and skin on
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 sliced onion
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup dry, unseasoned breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 crushed cloves garlic
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Whisk together the hot sauce, garlic, buttermilk, mustard, oil, black pepper and half the salt in a big dish.
- Stir in the sliced onion, then add the chicken and turn it a few times until it is evenly coated in the mixture.
- Cover the dish and leave it overnight in the refrigerator, turning a chicken a few times.
- Whisk the flour with the parmesan, thyme, breadcrumbs, cayenne, paprika and the rest of the salt in a baking dish.
- Take the chicken pieces out of the buttermilk marinade and roll them in this breadcrumb mixture, turning them over until they are well coated.
- Put racks over two rimmed baking sheets and put the chicken on the racks, skin side up.
- Leave it to stand for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Pour the melted butter over the coated chicken and bake for 50 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the coating is crispy and golden brown all over.
This spicy oven fried chicken recipe is one of the most exciting ways to cook chicken. A lot of the delicious spicy taste comes from the spiced coating but some also comes from the marinating. The marinating liquid is made with buttermilk for tenderizing the chicken meat and other ingredients to add an aromatic and special flavor to the chicken. In the photo, the chicken is served with mashed potatoes and green beans, as well as a refreshing cup of ice tea to counteract the spiciness. You can raise or lower the spiciness level if you want by altering the amount of hot sauce.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 04-05-16
Leave a Reply
- Braised Goose Breast with Spicy Honey Orange Cointreau Sauce May 10, 2016
- Pheasant and Pork Pie May 9, 2016
- Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon May 6, 2016
- Rosemary Roasted Partridge with Bacon April 26, 2016
- Roasted Mallard Duck Breast April 26, 2016
- Turkey Meatballs in Pineapple Curry April 23, 2016
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin April 13, 2016
- Site Update Announcement on Our Progress April 6, 2016
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry Served with Basmati Rice April 4, 2016
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts April 3, 2016
- Breaded Chicken Tenders Recipe (214690 Views)
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts (182034 Views)
- Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe – Extra Crispy Fried Chicken (156627 Views)
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe (70749 Views)
- Home (63392 Views)
- Milk and Egg Makes This Fried Chicken Batter Thick and Crispy Yet Tender and Juicy (39958 Views)
- Cashew Chicken Recipe (34460 Views)
- Authentic Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe (32961 Views)
- Heavy Batter Southern Fried Chicken with Garlic (21802 Views)
- Easy Fried Chicken Wings with Mexican Bean Salad (21798 Views)