Sticky Chinese Fried Chicken Wings
This Chinese recipe for fried chicken wings is really sweet and flavorful. Coca cola and Chinese five spice are used for a sweet and spicy taste. Using Coca Cola is not that different to using sugar, which also features in a lot of fried chicken recipes, but the fact that it is liquid means you can combine it with soy sauce to make a tasty fried chicken sauce. In the Chinese province of Shanghai sweet and spicy sauces are very popular and the sweetness is a great contrast with the spiciness of the chicken wings themselves.
Perhaps you have had Chinese dry fried chicken before or another Chinese chicken recipe. This recipe is so easy to make. If you are in a rush, you can add corn flour to the sauce to thicken it up faster, rather than waiting for it to boil down and reduce.
Serve these fried chicken wings with rice or noodles to keep the Chinese theme or with potato wedges or French fries to make it more of a fusion meal. It is impossible to describe just how flavorful and delicious these Chinese fried chicken wings are but they are highly recommended because the recipe is easy and the results are phenomenal.
- 1 lb chicken wings
- ½ teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 12 ½ fl oz Coca Cola
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 ⅓ oz soy sauce
- 3 ½ oz corn flour
- 2 pints oil, for frying
- Black pepper
- Put 2 oz of the soy sauce in a pot with 8 fl oz of the coca cola.
- Add the chili powder, five spice, ginger and garlic, as well as a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Cut the chicken wings at the joints and add them to the mixture.
- Bring the liquid to a boil and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Drain the wings and let them cool for 5 minutes.
- Keep the cooking liquid.
- Skim the chicken fat off the liquid and add the rest of the soy sauce and Coca Cola.
- Season with more five spice, chili powder, salt and pepper and reduce the sauce to thicken it.
- Add some salt and pepper to the corn flour and some more chili powder and five spice.
- Coat the chicken in the corn flour mixture.
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees F and fry the coated chicken wings until they are golden brown and crisp.
- Drain on paper towels then serve coated with the sauce.
You can tell from the photo how sticky and juicy these fried chicken wings are. Serve them on a plate with an attractive parsley garnish if you want to make easy appetizer recipes or with French fries, mashed potato or another favorite side dish if you are making dinner for the family. Chinese dry fried chicken, Chinese style deep fried chicken and Asian fried chicken wings are all wonderful recipes and this one is especially good. The combination of Coca Cola and soy sauce makes the most amazing sauce for these.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 04-05-16
Leave a Reply
- Braised Goose Breast with Spicy Honey Orange Cointreau Sauce May 10, 2016
- Pheasant and Pork Pie May 9, 2016
- Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon May 6, 2016
- Rosemary Roasted Partridge with Bacon April 26, 2016
- Roasted Mallard Duck Breast April 26, 2016
- Turkey Meatballs in Pineapple Curry April 23, 2016
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin April 13, 2016
- Site Update Announcement on Our Progress April 6, 2016
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry Served with Basmati Rice April 4, 2016
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts April 3, 2016
- Breaded Chicken Tenders Recipe (214690 Views)
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts (182066 Views)
- Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe – Extra Crispy Fried Chicken (156627 Views)
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe (70749 Views)
- Home (63392 Views)
- Milk and Egg Makes This Fried Chicken Batter Thick and Crispy Yet Tender and Juicy (39958 Views)
- Cashew Chicken Recipe (34460 Views)
- Authentic Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe (32961 Views)
- Heavy Batter Southern Fried Chicken with Garlic (21804 Views)
- Easy Fried Chicken Wings with Mexican Bean Salad (21798 Views)