Cashew Chicken Recipe
Have you had cashew chicken, perhaps in a restaurant or as part of a takeout meal? A cashew chicken is a dish that comprises stir-fried or deep-fried chicken combined with some cashew nuts and finished with delicious oyster sauce. It is said to be a Chinese-American dish that has gained popularity due to its exquisite flavors and pure deliciousness.
This cashew chicken dish, through the years, has gained a lot of variations due to its popularity. A particular variation that is quite well known is from the city of Springfield, Missouri. In this version, the chicken is coated with breadcrumbs and then cooked by deep-frying. This version was said to be first served in the year 1963 by David Leong, a chef who migrated to the United States from China. He came up with the cashew chicken Springfield version in order to gain acceptance in the United States. He wanted to prepare a dish that will charm the palate of the locals.
Due to the popularity of the dish, he was able to open his ‘Leong’s Tea House’ and, in 2010, his son was able to open a new restaurant in Springfield that specialized in cashew chicken. His signature cashew chicken dish became very famous and was even named as unofficial dish of the city.
- 2 chopped chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon of Chinese rice wine (you may also use dry sherry)
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of ginger juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1 clove of garlic
- ¼ cup of cashews
- 4 tablespoons of oil (or as needed)
- ¼ sliced green onion
- ¼ chopped green bell pepper
- 1 peeled, sliced carrot
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 2 tablespoons of hoisin sauce,
- 1 teaspoon of white sugar
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- The first thing to do is to combine the ginger juice, salt, rice wine, and cornstarch.
- Blend them well and mix them into the chicken cubes.
- After doing this, marinate the chicken for about 20 minutes to allow the flavors to seep in.
- Then, while the chicken is left to marinate, prepare the sauce.
- Take out a small bowl, add in all the ingredients for the sauce, and blend them until smooth. Once done, place this aside.
- After that, get the garlic and chop it finely and also rinse the green onions and bell peppers and chop them into 1 inch pieces.
- Take out a skillet and use it to roast the cashews over medium heat.
- Do not forget that while you are roasting the cashews, you should shake the skillet continuously so that the cashew nuts will not burn.
- Roast the nuts until they are browned nicely.
- This should take about 5 minutes.
- Then, take out a wok and heat it over medium high heat.
- Add in the oil. Once the oil is heated enough, add in the garlic.
- Cook the ginger for about half a minute before adding in the chicken.
- Cook the chicken until it turns into a lovely brown color and is just about cooked through.
- Then, stir fry the onions, carrot and bell peppers.
- After that, add in the sauce as well as the chicken.
- Cook all of the ingredients until cooked thoroughly.
- Toss everything together with the roasted cashews and serve right away.
This cashew chicken recipe is really good, and if you want restaurant quality Chinese food, this dish is a winner. Feel free to tweak the recipe, leaving the sugar out of the sauce if you want it less sweet (hoisin sauce is already very sweet) or swapping the bell pepper for mushrooms if you prefer. The sauce is thick, sticky and really good, and the nuts add a lovely crunch to the meal as you would expect. Many people have tried this in a restaurant or as a Chinese takeout but now you know how to make your own. This recipe serves 3 if you have a couple of side dishes or perhaps 4 or 5 if you have another Chinese entree on the table too, as well as your rice or noodles on the side.
“Cashew Chicken – Leftover Chicken with Cashews”
Step by Step Instructions for Leftover Chicken with Cashews
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 04-06-16
Leave a Reply
- Braised Goose Breast with Spicy Honey Orange Cointreau Sauce May 10, 2016
- Pheasant and Pork Pie May 9, 2016
- Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon May 6, 2016
- Rosemary Roasted Partridge with Bacon April 26, 2016
- Roasted Mallard Duck Breast April 26, 2016
- Turkey Meatballs in Pineapple Curry April 23, 2016
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin April 13, 2016
- Site Update Announcement on Our Progress April 6, 2016
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry Served with Basmati Rice April 4, 2016
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts April 3, 2016
- Breaded Chicken Tenders Recipe (214750 Views)
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts (193783 Views)
- Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe – Extra Crispy Fried Chicken (156731 Views)
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe (70850 Views)
- Home (63418 Views)
- Milk and Egg Makes This Fried Chicken Batter Thick and Crispy Yet Tender and Juicy (40010 Views)
- Cashew Chicken Recipe (34510 Views)
- Authentic Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe (33043 Views)
- Heavy Batter Southern Fried Chicken with Garlic (21846 Views)
- Easy Fried Chicken Wings with Mexican Bean Salad (21830 Views)