Breaded Chicken Bites and Fried Plantains
What Makes Breaded Chicken Bites and Fried Plantains So Wonderfully Unique?
An oven fried chicken recipe, southern fried chicken recipe or chicken fried steak is a definite comfort food and a lot of people really enjoy the way this type of chicken dish is crunchy on the outside yet soft and succulent on the inside.
A breaded chicken bites recipe is ideal for either adults or kids because fried chicken makes everyone’s mouth water. You can cut the fat content of your fried chicken recipes by making oven fried chicken or you can simply fry it in oil the traditional way. Eating fried food occasionally is not going to do you any harm.
A Change Can Be Good
One of the reasons why a fried plantains and breaded chicken bites recipe is so unique is that it makes a change from the standard fried chicken recipe, in that the plantains make a change to fries or potato salad.
There is nothing wrong with the classic southern fried chicken recipe and its usual side dishes, of course, but sometimes it is good to shake things up a bit and make something unusual, like this exciting Nicaraguan dish.
What are Plantains?
You will find the crispy fried plantains to be every bit as delicious as fries. If you like bananas, you will like plantains. Plantains are similar to bananas but they are high in starch and low in sugar, giving them a slightly different texture and taste. They are larger than bananas and do not have the associated sweetness, which makes them perfect as a potato substitute. If you cannot find plantains in your local grocery store, try a Latin or Caribbean food store.
A Delicious Fried Chicken Recipe Nicaragua Style
This delicious recipe combines two popular foods from Nicaragua – breaded chicken bites and fried plantain. Nicaraguan cuisine dates back to the pre-Columbian era, when the food was a combination of colonial dishes and Creole delicacies. Corn is a Nicaraguan staple and it is used to make drinks, snacks, sweets, and main dishes. The cuisine of Nicaragua is similar to Mexican food and other South American cuisines, in that a lot of the same ingredients feature in typical recipes.
Other popular ingredients used in Nicaragua include onion, tomato, garlic, rice, flour, mustard, mayonnaise, cheese, orange, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla. Tropical fruits like mango, papaya, bananas, avocado, and jocote are also popular, as are roots like quequisque and yucca, and herbs like achiote, oregano, and cilantro. Unusual meats like cow brains, udders, and stomachs are used in some Nicaraguan recipes, and you might also find lizard, turtle eggs, and armadillos on the menu.
The following breaded chicken bites recipe combines delicious fried chicken with tostones, which are fried plantains. The combination of the southern fried chicken recipe and the warm, soft fried plantains (which are similar to bananas) is a heavenly one, and you will love this unusual fried chicken side dish. You can serve it as it is, or with another tasty fried chicken side dish like coleslaw or corn on the cob. You can alter the fried chicken recipe if you like, since there are many different recipes for fried chicken; this one is quick and simple though.
- 2 lbs chicken in serving pieces
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 3 peeled green plantains in 1 inch pieces
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Oil, for deep-frying
- Salt, to taste
- First prepare the chicken. Rub the salt all over the chicken pieces.
- Beat the milk with the eggs and set aside. Combine the flour and black pepper and set aside.
- Dip the chicken in the egg mixture and then in the flour mixture. Make sure it is coated all over.
- Heat the oil to 375 degrees F in a deep-fryer, then fry the chicken until it is cooked through.
- Now make the fried plantains.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over a moderate heat.
- Add the plantain slices and fry them for about 8 minutes or until they are soft.
- You might need to do this in batches.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Mash each plantain piece with a tostonera (a fried plantain press) or a flat mallet, until each slice is ½ inch thick.
- Put the plantain slices back in the skillet and fry for 3 minutes on each side or until crispy.
- Drain on paper towels and season with garlic powder.
- Serve the chicken with the fried plantain.
This photo shows how delicious the breaded chicken bites recipe is, especially when paired with crunchy fried plantains. The plantains are double-fried, first to soften them and then to crisp them up. If you can’t find them simply serve crunchy banana chips instead like we often do. You can serve rice too and some kind of sauce or dressing if you like. If you enjoy fried chicken, you are sure to love this dish. Perhaps you are used to cooking a country fried chicken recipe or chicken fried steak dishes for your family or perhaps you are new to this kind of cooking. Either way, you are sure to love the textures and flavors this fried plantains and breaded chicken bites recipe offers.
How to Make Fried Plantains Like a Pro
Plantains are a staple food in a lot of Hispanic and Caribbean cultures. They can be baked or grilled but frying is a great way to prepare them. You can eat plantains at any stage of ripeness but you will find that riper ones taste different.
Green plantains are rich and starchy. Yellow ones are a bit sweet. Black ones are very sweet, almost like bananas. Ripe plantains are easier to peel. To peel a plantain, cut off both ends and then slice the peel along the curved edge and take it off to expose the plantain flesh. Slice the flesh for cooking.
How to Fry Them
Use a nonstick pan to fry the plantain if possible. If you want to use olive oil or a delicate oil which breaks down in high temperatures, rub it over the plantain slices instead of pouring it into the pan. Wait for the oil to become hot before adding the plantains. The plantains will turn golden brown. You can serve them with salt or garlic powder. Garlic salt is good too.
Some recipe will call for the plantains to be double-fried, first to tenderize them and then to crisp them up. In this case you will need to flatten the plantains between each frying. You can use the bottom of a can or the flat side of a meat mallet.
A Tasty Dipping Sauce for Fried Plantains
If you are serving your fried plantains with a breaded chicken bites recipe, you might want to make a dipping sauce. Combine quarter of a cup each of ketchup and mayonnaise with two minced garlic cloves. Stir it well and then chill for half an hour so the flavors can blend.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 04-11-16
Leave a Reply
- Braised Goose Breast with Spicy Honey Orange Cointreau Sauce May 10, 2016
- Pheasant and Pork Pie May 9, 2016
- Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon May 6, 2016
- Rosemary Roasted Partridge with Bacon April 26, 2016
- Roasted Mallard Duck Breast April 26, 2016
- Turkey Meatballs in Pineapple Curry April 23, 2016
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin April 13, 2016
- Site Update Announcement on Our Progress April 6, 2016
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry Served with Basmati Rice April 4, 2016
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts April 3, 2016
- Breaded Chicken Tenders Recipe (214698 Views)
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts (182695 Views)
- Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe – Extra Crispy Fried Chicken (156629 Views)
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe (70758 Views)
- Home (63395 Views)
- Milk and Egg Makes This Fried Chicken Batter Thick and Crispy Yet Tender and Juicy (39960 Views)
- Cashew Chicken Recipe (34463 Views)
- Authentic Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe (32967 Views)
- Heavy Batter Southern Fried Chicken with Garlic (21806 Views)
- Easy Fried Chicken Wings with Mexican Bean Salad (21804 Views)