Fried Chicken with Italian Everything Breadcrumbs
Breadcrumbs are a popular coating for chicken, especially when combined with seasoned flour and egg, and you have the choice of dried or fresh breadcrumbs. If you have some stale bread to use up, consider making a breaded chicken recipe. The type of bread you use determines the flavor of the finished chicken, and there are lots of types to choose from.
Why Use Italian Everything Bread
Although ciabatta, whole wheat or even plain old white bread will all yield satisfactory breadcrumbs, Italian everything bread, which is widely available, is very popular in our household. This type of bread has seeds and grains on top, so you are going to get an interesting texture in the finished dish, along with more flavors. Just process the bread for a few seconds in the blender or food processor to convert it into breadcrumbs, then you can make the following recipe. The bread does not have to be stale, but if you do find yourself with leftover stale bread, this is a great way to use it up.
Depending how thick the slices of bread are, you will need about 8 slices to get 2½ cups of breadcrumbs. If you enjoy this recipe you might want to make it often. Something else you can try is coating fish filets in this breadcrumb mixture, then serving them with lemon wedges. Fish would have a much shorter cooking time of course. This Italian everything breadcrumb chicken is cooked in a pan in butter, so you can expect an incredible flavor along with a nice crunch.
- 1 large chicken breast
- 2½ cups fresh breadcrumbs, made by processing about 8 slices of Italian everything bread in a blender
- 2 lightly beaten eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Put the eggs in a bowl.
- Put the flour in another bowl and stir the salt and black pepper into it.
- Put the breadcrumbs into a third bowl.
- Split, bone and skin the chicken, the cut it into strips.
- Dip a piece of chicken in the flour to cover both sides, then shake off any excess.
- Dip the floured chicken into the egg, then let any excess drip off.
- Finally press it into the breadcrumbs, ensuring they cover both sides.
- Press the breadcrumbs into the chicken.
- Set the coated chicken on a plate, and repeat these steps with the rest of the chicken strips.
- Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat, skimming off any white foam with a spoon.
- Add the chicken and cook for 7 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Flip the chicken using a spatula and cook for another 5 minutes or until cooked through.
Seeds and grains on top are why we love Italian everything bread, but not only is this bread great for sandwiches, it is also amazing if you want fried chicken. Put some of this tasty bread into a blender or food processor, process it for a few seconds, and you will get delicious breadcrumbs which you can use to coat strips of chicken breasts. The recipe also includes eggs and seasoned flour, and the chicken is lovely served with something creamy such as potato salad or coleslaw, to make a nice contrast.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 04-05-16
Leave a Reply
- Braised Goose Breast with Spicy Honey Orange Cointreau Sauce May 10, 2016
- Pheasant and Pork Pie May 9, 2016
- Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon May 6, 2016
- Rosemary Roasted Partridge with Bacon April 26, 2016
- Roasted Mallard Duck Breast April 26, 2016
- Turkey Meatballs in Pineapple Curry April 23, 2016
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin April 13, 2016
- Site Update Announcement on Our Progress April 6, 2016
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry Served with Basmati Rice April 4, 2016
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts April 3, 2016
- Breaded Chicken Tenders Recipe (214687 Views)
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts (178439 Views)
- Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe – Extra Crispy Fried Chicken (156619 Views)
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe (70738 Views)
- Home (63391 Views)
- Milk and Egg Makes This Fried Chicken Batter Thick and Crispy Yet Tender and Juicy (39950 Views)
- Cashew Chicken Recipe (34455 Views)
- Authentic Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe (32945 Views)
- Easy Fried Chicken Wings with Mexican Bean Salad (21798 Views)
- Heavy Batter Southern Fried Chicken with Garlic (21797 Views)