Easy Chicken Fried Steak with a Creamy Sauce
Chicken fried steak can refer to a steak or a chicken dish. In the following chicken fried steak recipe the chicken is flattened and coated in breadcrumbs before being pan fried. This chicken fried steak recipe is served with pasta, grilled vegetables and a simple white sauce. Fresh parsley adds color and flavor to the finished dish. If you are looking for a simple recipe for chicken fried steak, you will enjoy making this one.
Flattened chicken escalope cooks very fast so if you are used to pan frying whole chicken pieces keep an eye on this one. The chicken is only half an inch thin after you have pounded it so it only needs a few minutes cooking time per side and it is done. Make sure the oil is hot before you add the breaded chicken to it, else it might go soggy which is not the result you are after.
Serve this chicken fried steak with pasta and vegetables or even something more unusual like a pumpkin salsa or a fried egg. There are lots of garnishes and serving ideas for chicken fried steak recipes and you can make this recipe unique by adding your own finishing touches to it.
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ¾ oz fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 beaten egg
- ½ stick butter
- 8 oz penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and black pepper
- All purpose flour, as needed
- Corn oil, for frying
- Mixed grilled vegetables, to serve
- Salad greens or fresh herbs, for garnish
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Put a chicken breast on a sheet of plastic wrap and beat it to ½ inch thick with the side of a meat cleaver or a rolling pin. Repeat with the other chicken breasts.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and then dredge it in flour, using your hands to pat off any excess.
- Dredge the chicken through the beaten egg and then the breadcrumbs.
- Boil the pasta until it is al dente and drain it.
- Heat ½ inch of corn oil in a skillet and pan fry the chicken for a few minutes on each side.
- Add the butter near the end of the cooking time and turn the chicken over again.
- To make the sauce, combine the milk and cornstarch, then add the butter, salt and black pepper, stirring all the time over a moderate heat.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and let it boil for a minute.
- Toss the cooked pasta with the olive oil.
- Serve the chicken, pasta, vegetables and salad greens together with the sauce over the chicken.
- Sprinkle the parsley over everything.
The simplicity of this chicken fried steak recipe might be surprising, given that it is such an elegant looking dish. The grilled vegetables, salad and pasta are all optional, of course, and you could substitute any kind of vegetables or potatoes, depending on personal preference. Flattening the chicken like this makes it look attractive and shortens the cooking time by a lot. Cooking an unflattened chicken breast would mean the breadcrumbs were golden brown and cooked while the center of the chicken was still raw, so beating it half an inch thick is the best thing to do for recipes like this chicken fried steak.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 04-05-16
Leave a Reply
- Braised Goose Breast with Spicy Honey Orange Cointreau Sauce May 10, 2016
- Pheasant and Pork Pie May 9, 2016
- Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon May 6, 2016
- Rosemary Roasted Partridge with Bacon April 26, 2016
- Roasted Mallard Duck Breast April 26, 2016
- Turkey Meatballs in Pineapple Curry April 23, 2016
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin April 13, 2016
- Site Update Announcement on Our Progress April 6, 2016
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry Served with Basmati Rice April 4, 2016
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts April 3, 2016
- Breaded Chicken Tenders Recipe (214690 Views)
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts (182063 Views)
- Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe – Extra Crispy Fried Chicken (156627 Views)
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe (70749 Views)
- Home (63392 Views)
- Milk and Egg Makes This Fried Chicken Batter Thick and Crispy Yet Tender and Juicy (39958 Views)
- Cashew Chicken Recipe (34460 Views)
- Authentic Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe (32961 Views)
- Heavy Batter Southern Fried Chicken with Garlic (21804 Views)
- Easy Fried Chicken Wings with Mexican Bean Salad (21798 Views)