Chicken Fried Steak with a Parmesan Basil Sauce
This chicken fried steak recipe is very simple and most of the flavor comes from the sauce. The chicken is simply dredged in plain egg and plain flour and pan fried in butter until it is done. The butter gives it a rich flavor. The sauce is made with basil, cream and flour and the parmesan cheese melts slightly when you sprinkle it over the hot sauce. This is an unusual recipe for chicken fried steak which is sure to please you.
This recipe has a fresher taste if you use fresh basil rather than dried but you can use dried basil if it’s all you have. Leave off the parmesan if you don’t like it or serve it on the side if only some of your family enjoy the taste and others would prefer this chicken fried steak without the cheese. Serve it with pasta or mashed potatoes and perhaps a green vegetable or two.
For a richer sauce you can use heavy cream instead of the Half & Half. It just depends how thick and rich you want the sauce. This is quite a high fat sauce so it’s perhaps not the best chicken fried steak recipe if you are watching your figure but if you’ve been eating well all week then treating yourself with this wonderful dish isn’t going to do you any harm!
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil or 1 ½ tablespoons dried basil
- ⅜ cup butter
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 cups Half & Half
- Preheat a skillet over a low to moderate heat.
- Pound the chicken breasts to ½ inch thick between 2 pieces of plastic wrap, using the flat side of a meat mallet or a rolling pin.
- Dip the chicken in the egg and then dredge it in the flour.
- Add the butter to the skillet and let it melt without burning.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook it for about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken from the pan. Add the basil, cream and 1 tablespoon of the flour to the skillet.
- Turn the heat down to low and scrape up the drippings from the bottom of the pan.
- Cook the mixture until it thickens.
- Serve the chicken with the sauce drizzled over it and sprinkle the parmesan over the top.
Very few things smell as wonderful as chicken being fried and this chicken fried steak recipe tastes even better than it smells. Served with parmesan cheese and a basil sauce, this makes a mouthwatering dinner. The sauce is not exactly healthy but if it is creaminess and richness you are looking for, this is an excellent chicken fried steak recipe. You can serve this tasty dish with mashed potatoes, French fries, boiled potatoes or anything else you want. It is a nice warming meal for a chilly evening and this recipe is actually really easy to prepare.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 04-05-16
Leave a Reply
- Braised Goose Breast with Spicy Honey Orange Cointreau Sauce May 10, 2016
- Pheasant and Pork Pie May 9, 2016
- Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon May 6, 2016
- Rosemary Roasted Partridge with Bacon April 26, 2016
- Roasted Mallard Duck Breast April 26, 2016
- Turkey Meatballs in Pineapple Curry April 23, 2016
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin April 13, 2016
- Site Update Announcement on Our Progress April 6, 2016
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry Served with Basmati Rice April 4, 2016
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts April 3, 2016
- Breaded Chicken Tenders Recipe (214693 Views)
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts (182279 Views)
- Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe – Extra Crispy Fried Chicken (156629 Views)
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe (70752 Views)
- Home (63393 Views)
- Milk and Egg Makes This Fried Chicken Batter Thick and Crispy Yet Tender and Juicy (39960 Views)
- Cashew Chicken Recipe (34463 Views)
- Authentic Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe (32962 Views)
- Heavy Batter Southern Fried Chicken with Garlic (21804 Views)
- Easy Fried Chicken Wings with Mexican Bean Salad (21802 Views)