Buttermilk Marinade Makes Tender Moist Chicken Simple and Easy
This buttermilk fried chicken is tasty and delicious and the accompanying gravy adds moisture and flavor to this dish. You can leave the chicken marinating in the buttermilk for longer if you want a more intense flavor. This is a great buttermilk fried chicken recipe to serve with mashed potatoes and corn on the side, for a real southern meal. Coleslaw is another good idea for a side dish, or green beans, baked beans, onion rings or anything else that comes to mind and that you think your family would enjoy.
The homemade gravy recipe is especially good. You can make gravy with milk, flour, water, salt, pepper and the drippings from the pan and this delicious juice is amazing poured over the fried chicken or with mashed potatoes. You can serve it on the side, when you serve this buttermilk fried chicken, so that people can serve themselves to however much gravy they would like. The gravy is enriched with the chicken flavor and this is a delicious combination. If you want to serve an impressive dinner, you can’t go wrong with such a classic favorite as buttermilk fried chicken with mashed potatoes and homemade gravy. This dish is suitable for pretty much any occasion and the kitchen will smell amazing whenever you make it.
Gravy is optional with fried buttermilk chicken and with other fried chicken recipes and you might prefer to serve a sauce with the chicken instead or simply just some ketchup. For a real southern fried chicken meal though, make the gravy. It is very easy and well worth it for its rich and tasty flavor.
- 1 x 2.5 lbs broiler-fryer chicken, in pieces
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put the chicken in a large dish.
- Pour the buttermilk over and chill in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Mix the flour, salt, and pepper together in a bag.
- Toss the drained chicken pieces, one at a time, in the flour mixture.
- Shake off any excess and put them on waxed paper for 15 minutes.
- Heat ¼ inch of oil in a skillet and fry the chicken until browned all over. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until the juices run clear, turning the chicken pieces occasionally with tongs.
- Remove the cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and keep it warm.
- Drain all but ¼ cup of drippings and stir in the flour until the mixture is bubbly.
- Add the milk and a cup or a cup and a half of water. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.
- Cook for one more minute and add more water if necessary.
- Season and serve with the chicken.
You can see from the picture how crispy this buttermilk fried chicken looks. Once you pour the gravy over it, the batter will get soft so either serve the gravy at the last minute or pour it over the mashed potatoes instead of over the chicken, if a crispy batter is important. This mouthwatering southern fried chicken dish is easy to make and is a real crowd pleaser. Serve fried chicken at a buffet, at a party or to thrill your family at dinner time. Driving across town to a fried chicken restaurant isn’t always convenient but making buttermilk fried chicken with gravy yourself at home is easy, convenient and sure to be appreciated.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 04-05-16
Leave a Reply
- Braised Goose Breast with Spicy Honey Orange Cointreau Sauce May 10, 2016
- Pheasant and Pork Pie May 9, 2016
- Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon May 6, 2016
- Rosemary Roasted Partridge with Bacon April 26, 2016
- Roasted Mallard Duck Breast April 26, 2016
- Turkey Meatballs in Pineapple Curry April 23, 2016
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin April 13, 2016
- Site Update Announcement on Our Progress April 6, 2016
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry Served with Basmati Rice April 4, 2016
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts April 3, 2016
- Breaded Chicken Tenders Recipe (214692 Views)
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts (182250 Views)
- Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe – Extra Crispy Fried Chicken (156627 Views)
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe (70751 Views)
- Home (63392 Views)
- Milk and Egg Makes This Fried Chicken Batter Thick and Crispy Yet Tender and Juicy (39960 Views)
- Cashew Chicken Recipe (34461 Views)
- Authentic Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe (32961 Views)
- Heavy Batter Southern Fried Chicken with Garlic (21804 Views)
- Easy Fried Chicken Wings with Mexican Bean Salad (21800 Views)