Buttermilk and Spices Make for One Great Recipe for Spicy Fried Chicken
The secret to this spicy fried chicken recipe is the spicy buttermilk mixture which the chicken is soaked in overnight. The buttermilk is spiced with mustard, salt, pepper and cayenne and these flavors combine and permeate the chicken pieces. Garlic is used in the flour mixture for extra zing and spiciness.
You can adjust the amount of cayenne pepper used and even add some chili sauce or chili powder if you prefer your spicy fried chicken recipe to be extra hot. This chicken recipe is great served with a dipping sauce such as catsup or mayonnaise. Garlic mayonnaise makes a very good dip for this fried chicken recipe too.
Not everyone is a fan of spicy chicken and a lot of people prefer their fried chicken quite plain, but if you do like a bit of spice you this is a great recipe for you. The cayenne pepper, mustard and other ingredients ensure the chicken has plenty of flavor, and because you are making this yourself you can adjust the quantities to make it slightly spicy or extra spicy if you want. Serve this tasty chicken with fries if you want more of the crispiness or with potato salad if you want to counteract the spicy chicken with something cool and creamy. The side dish options are up to you, so go with whatever you are in the mood for.
- 8 chicken pieces, weighing 3 ½ lbs total
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 5 cups vegetable shortening
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Mix the mustard, buttermilk, cayenne pepper, black pepper and 1 teaspoon of the salt in a bowl with a tight-fitting lid or in a big plastic bag.
- Add the chicken and shake to coat well.
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees F.
- Mix the baking powder, flour and garlic powder with the rest of the salt in a pan, then add the chicken, turning them so they are coated evenly.
- Let the chicken sit for 10 minutes, turning it a couple of times in the flour mixture.
- Heat the shortening in a skillet until it is 375 degrees F.
- Shake any excess flour from the chicken and fry it for a couple of minutes per side to brown.
- Fry the chicken in batches because you can keep the cooked chicken warm in the oven.
- Let the temperature of the shortening come down to 325 degrees F and keep frying the chicken until it is golden brown and cooked through.
- This will take about 10 minutes per side.
- Put the cooked chicken on a wire rack over a baking tray in the warm oven while you finish frying the rest of the chicken pieces.
- Serve hot.
In this picture of our hot and Spicy Fried Chicken Recipe you cannot see the spice but when you bite into it you’ll notice it for sure. The ingredients in this fried chicken recipe blend to give a flavorful and hot and spicy flavor to this chicken. If you like your chicken on the spicy side with a nice bite to it this is the fried chicken recipe for you. Many fried chicken recipes do have a bit of heat in them chicken on its own is such a mild flavor so a bit of heat livens it up and gives the chicken a bit of depth it doesn’t have on its own. Southern fried chicken recipes have a long tradition of blending different herbs and spice to give them their own individual character and this recipe is no different in that respect.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded and edited: 04-11-16
Leave a Reply
- Braised Goose Breast with Spicy Honey Orange Cointreau Sauce May 10, 2016
- Pheasant and Pork Pie May 9, 2016
- Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon May 6, 2016
- Rosemary Roasted Partridge with Bacon April 26, 2016
- Roasted Mallard Duck Breast April 26, 2016
- Turkey Meatballs in Pineapple Curry April 23, 2016
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin April 13, 2016
- Site Update Announcement on Our Progress April 6, 2016
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry Served with Basmati Rice April 4, 2016
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts April 3, 2016
- Breaded Chicken Tenders Recipe (214692 Views)
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts (182262 Views)
- Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe – Extra Crispy Fried Chicken (156627 Views)
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe (70751 Views)
- Home (63392 Views)
- Milk and Egg Makes This Fried Chicken Batter Thick and Crispy Yet Tender and Juicy (39960 Views)
- Cashew Chicken Recipe (34461 Views)
- Authentic Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe (32961 Views)
- Heavy Batter Southern Fried Chicken with Garlic (21804 Views)
- Easy Fried Chicken Wings with Mexican Bean Salad (21800 Views)