Authentic Recipe for Emeril’s Fried Chicken
The secret behind this delicious Emeril Lagasse fried chicken recipe is the homemade “essence” which is what Emeril calls his unique Creole seasoning mix. This Creole flavoring gives the chicken an amazing flavor and you can use this herb and spice mixture in other recipes. The chicken is coated in flour and egg and seasoned with the Creole mixture. It is then pan fried to perfection.
Emeril’s fried chicken recipe is served with mashed potatoes and a delicious homemade gravy recipe. If you are looking for a delicious pan fried chicken recipe which is impressive looking and flavorful enough to serve to guests, this recipe is perfect. The Creole seasoning turns this otherwise ordinary pan fried chicken into something very special.
You can serve potato wedges or even French fries with this Emeril’s fried chicken dish if you prefer them to the mashed potatoes. The homemade gravy is made by adding flour and milk to the remaining oil in the skillet and scraping the tasty stuck-on chicken bits off the bottom of the pan. This delicious pan fried chicken recipe is highly recommended and has to be tasted to be believed.
- 3 ½ lbs fryer chicken
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3 ½ cups all purpose flour
- Cayenne pepper
- Oil, for frying
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 6 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 ½ tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- First make the Creole seasoning.
- Mix all the Creole seasoning ingredients together and store the mixture in an airtight container.
- You will get about ⅔ cup and you won't need it all for this fried chicken recipe.
- Cut the chicken into 8 pieces. Use the salt and cayenne pepper to season the chicken pieces.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons of the milk with the eggs and add a pinch of Creole seasoning. Add another pinch of the seasoning to 3 cups of the flour.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour, then in the egg, ensuring the chicken pieces are completely covered. Let any excess drip off. Dip the chicken pieces again in the flour.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until they are tender, then mash in the butter and some cream or milk too if you prefer a creamier texture. Keep the mashed potatoes warm.
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Place half the chicken pieces skin side down in the hot oil and fry for 6 minutes.
- Flip the chicken pieces over and cook for 6 more minutes or until the chicken is cooked right through and golden brown.
- Drain the chicken on a paper lined plate and sprinkle more Creole seasoning over it.
- Fry the other half of the chicken pieces. Pour all the oil except ½ cup out of the skillet.
- Whisk in the rest of the flour and let the mixture cook for a few minutes, scraping the stuck-on bits of chicken off the skillet.
- Whisk in the rest of the milk and bring the liquid to a boil.
- Turn it down to a simmer and season with salt and black pepper.
- Cook this gravy for 6 minutes.
- You can add some water if it goes too thick.
- Serve the mashed potatoes and fried chicken with the gravy over the top.
Not only can chicken and white gravy be served for dinner with mashed potatoes but you can also turn it into breakfast by swapping the mashed potatoes for some bread and adding some fruit to the plate too. Yes chicken really is that versatile. If you enjoy steak or bacon for breakfast at the weekend, when you have more time to cook, you might like to swap that meat for chicken and discover the joys of a fried chicken breakfast. This is guaranteed to be better than leftover KFC because it offers a lovely, fresh flavor, and that typical Emeril touch of genius when it comes to the flavor.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 04-05-16
Leave a Reply
- Braised Goose Breast with Spicy Honey Orange Cointreau Sauce May 10, 2016
- Pheasant and Pork Pie May 9, 2016
- Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon May 6, 2016
- Rosemary Roasted Partridge with Bacon April 26, 2016
- Roasted Mallard Duck Breast April 26, 2016
- Turkey Meatballs in Pineapple Curry April 23, 2016
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin April 13, 2016
- Site Update Announcement on Our Progress April 6, 2016
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry Served with Basmati Rice April 4, 2016
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts April 3, 2016
- Breaded Chicken Tenders Recipe (214695 Views)
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts (182365 Views)
- Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe – Extra Crispy Fried Chicken (156629 Views)
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe (70754 Views)
- Home (63393 Views)
- Milk and Egg Makes This Fried Chicken Batter Thick and Crispy Yet Tender and Juicy (39960 Views)
- Cashew Chicken Recipe (34463 Views)
- Authentic Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe (32964 Views)
- Heavy Batter Southern Fried Chicken with Garlic (21804 Views)
- Easy Fried Chicken Wings with Mexican Bean Salad (21802 Views)