Asian Orange Chicken with Green Onions
In Asian cuisine it is very common to fry food then cover it in a sauce. These sauces can range from sweet, to spicy, to somewhere in he middle. This one although it has a bit of bite is more or less a sweet sauce and warning not diabetic friendly. If you want that you will have to replace the brown sugar and white sugar with something like agave nectar but I have not tested this so it may take some trial and error.
This is one of the perennial favorites at Chinese takeout restaurants and it is no wonder. Americans love sweet and we love fried chicken in fact it is a core comfort food in many households so to combine these taste together is nothing short of culinary genius. I mean if you want to get an American to pay attention to a food item sugar and fried are two easy steps in the door.
I tried to keep this recipe straightforward as possible and although it does have a fairly long list of ingredients it is actually pretty simple to prepare. I mean the chicken is a simple dredge and flour kind of fried chicken so nothing to out of the norm there. And the sauce is all made in one pan and is mainly just some combing and whisking so it doesn’t burn to the bottom of the pan. If you want to make the sauce ahead of time and then just reheat it when you do the chicken just reheat it over low and be patient and it will be a pretty no fuss thing.
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, remove skin cut into one inch cubes
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg, beaten well with a tablespoon of milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peanut oil to deep fry with
- 1½ cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons frozen concentrated orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- ½ tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2½ tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger root, peeled and diced fine
- ¼ cup real lemon
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- /4 cup masa harina
- ¼ cup cold water
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup scallions
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- In a glass bowl mix together the flour, cornstarch, and salt and pepper until well blended.
- Dredge the chicken in the egg and then through the dry ingredients until well coated shake to remove any excess flour mixture.
- In a wok heat the peanut oil to around 375 degrees F.
- Place small batches of chicken into the hot oil and cook until golden brown and cooked all the way through.
- In a medium large saucepan Heat up a teaspoon of peanut oil and sauté the garlic and ginger for about thirty seconds.
- To this add the remaining ingredients minus the scallions, masa harina and water.
- Allow the sauce to come to a boil.
- Blend together the water and masa harina and mix completely.
- Slowly whisk in the masa harina mixture into the orange sauce until it begins to thicken.
- Lower the heat and allow to simmer for fifteen minutes, whisking occasionally until thick.
- Set to the side.
- Place the fried chicken pieces into the sauce to fully coat the chicken in sauce along with the scallions and cook for about five minutes over a low heat.
- Serve immediately with your favorite fried rice.
One of the most attractive of prepared Asian dishes is Asian orange chicken. I cover this here in my fried chicken site’s international recipes because this is in essence a fried chicken recipe with a delicious orange glazing sauce. If you haven’t had the fortune of ever having this dish at a Chinese takeout or even better in an actual Asian city you are in for a treat. Just like country fried steak gets improved by the milk gravy this dish gets improved by the orange sauce that coats each piece so you have the church of the fried chicken and the sweet and mildly hot orange sauce.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 04-05-16
Leave a Reply
- Braised Goose Breast with Spicy Honey Orange Cointreau Sauce May 10, 2016
- Pheasant and Pork Pie May 9, 2016
- Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon May 6, 2016
- Rosemary Roasted Partridge with Bacon April 26, 2016
- Roasted Mallard Duck Breast April 26, 2016
- Turkey Meatballs in Pineapple Curry April 23, 2016
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin April 13, 2016
- Site Update Announcement on Our Progress April 6, 2016
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry Served with Basmati Rice April 4, 2016
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts April 3, 2016
- Breaded Chicken Tenders Recipe (214743 Views)
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts (191061 Views)
- Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe – Extra Crispy Fried Chicken (156718 Views)
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe (70834 Views)
- Home (63414 Views)
- Milk and Egg Makes This Fried Chicken Batter Thick and Crispy Yet Tender and Juicy (40004 Views)
- Cashew Chicken Recipe (34501 Views)
- Authentic Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe (33027 Views)
- Heavy Batter Southern Fried Chicken with Garlic (21842 Views)
- Easy Fried Chicken Wings with Mexican Bean Salad (21826 Views)