A Tender, Juicy Buttermilk Chicken for Perfect Chicken
This traditional buttermilk batter fried chicken recipe makes wonderful fried chicken. The buttermilk soaked chicken is mixed with flour and seasonings before being fried in a skillet. It is important to make sure the oil is at least 375 degrees F, else the chicken will be soggy and greasy, which is not the desired result when making buttermilk fried chicken recipes. The chicken in this fried chicken recipe is rolled in the buttermilk before having the flour coating applied. With some recipes for fried buttermilk chicken, the chicken is marinated in the buttermilk to make it soft but if you prefer a milder flavor, just rolling the chicken through the buttermilk to give it a hint of buttermilk taste and make the flour stick works also.
A high cooking temperature for this traditional buttermilk fried chicken recipe also ensures a crispy finish. Use room temperature chicken pieces. Cold chicken would bring down the oil temperature and might end up greasy instead of moist inside and crispy outside. Buttermilk batter fried chicken is a great weekend treat or a nice snack to eat in front of a movie. You can serve the chicken as it is or with some French fries or onion rings.
Buttermilk fried chicken lightly battered and seasoned, fried golden brown makes such a nice meal and if you are interested in making copycat restaurant recipes this one is every bit as juicy and mouthwatering as fried chicken from your favorite fried chicken restaurant. It is also very easy to prepare.
- 2 ½ lbs chicken pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Crisco (or enough for 2 inch deep fat)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Add the salt, pepper and flour to a big bag.
- Roll the chicken pieces in the buttermilk, and then add them to the bag, shaking well until the chicken is coated with the seasoned flour mixture.
- Add the shortening to a skillet and heat it.
- When the shortening is very hot, put the coated chicken in the skillet and turn the heat down to medium.
- Let it cook for about 17 minutes until it is golden brown on one side.
- Flip the chicken over and let the other side cook until golden brown.
- Turn the heat down to low, cover the pan and cook for 10 more minutes or until the chicken is cooked through with no pink in the center.
You can see how appetizing this buttermilk fried chicken looks from the photo and how deliciously golden brown it is. Buttermilk is an excellent way to flavor your chicken and tenderize it at the same time. There are various buttermilk fried chicken recipes but this one is especially good because the finished chicken is so incredibly crispy. The buttermilk coating gives the flour something to stick to and the seasoned flour turns into the beautifully crisp coating while the chicken fries. If you like to sink your teeth into the best buttermilk fried chicken recipes this one won’t disappoint you at all.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 04-05-16
Leave a Reply
- Braised Goose Breast with Spicy Honey Orange Cointreau Sauce May 10, 2016
- Pheasant and Pork Pie May 9, 2016
- Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon May 6, 2016
- Rosemary Roasted Partridge with Bacon April 26, 2016
- Roasted Mallard Duck Breast April 26, 2016
- Turkey Meatballs in Pineapple Curry April 23, 2016
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin April 13, 2016
- Site Update Announcement on Our Progress April 6, 2016
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry Served with Basmati Rice April 4, 2016
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts April 3, 2016
- Breaded Chicken Tenders Recipe (214692 Views)
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts (182250 Views)
- Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe – Extra Crispy Fried Chicken (156627 Views)
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe (70751 Views)
- Home (63392 Views)
- Milk and Egg Makes This Fried Chicken Batter Thick and Crispy Yet Tender and Juicy (39960 Views)
- Cashew Chicken Recipe (34461 Views)
- Authentic Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe (32961 Views)
- Heavy Batter Southern Fried Chicken with Garlic (21804 Views)
- Easy Fried Chicken Wings with Mexican Bean Salad (21800 Views)