Real Southern Style Deep Fried Chicken
This deep fried chicken recipe is really good and the cayenne pepper gives it a lively kick. The mustard seeds add even more of a kick but you can omit those if you want to. Deep fried chicken is a classic dish and a great comfort food as well. This recipe is very easy to follow and if you are a fan of fried chicken recipes you are sure to like it.
You can deep fry chicken in a few minutes but this fried chicken recipe calls for the chicken to marinate in milk. Technically this is an optional step but it makes the chicken very tender so it is worth doing. It just means you need to plan your dinner a bit in advance. Deep fried chicken recipes are wonderful served with ketchup or mayonnaise for dipping or even a tasty homemade gravy recipe.
Fried chicken is one of the nation’s favorite dishes and there is little wonder. Succulent juicy chicken in a crispy batter just can’t be beaten for taste, texture and the satisfaction you get from enjoying it. Homemade fried chicken is economical to make and there are lots of recipes to choose from and various cooking methods, including deep frying, pan frying and oven frying. You can make fried chicken recipes as spicy or as plain as you like.
- 2 chicken thighs, with skin and bone
- 2 chicken drumsticks, with skin and bone
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds (optional)
- 4 cups milk
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 2 ¼ cups vegetable shortening, for frying
- Put the chicken in a dish and cover it with milk.
- Put plastic wrap over the pan and chill it for 2 to 12 hours in the refrigerator.
- Transfer the chicken and milk to a big pot and bring the milk to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to medium low so the chicken can simmer for 20 minutes.
- Take the chicken out of the milk and let it cool on a rack for 15 minutes.
- Pat it dry with paper towels. Heat the vegetable shortening in a big pot or Dutch oven until it is 325 degrees F or nearly at smoking point.
- Put the flour, cayenne pepper and salt in a Ziploc bag. Add the mustard seeds if you are using them.
- Put the chicken in the bag with the flour mixture, one piece at a time, shaking it well to coat.
- Dip the flour-coated chicken pieces in the beaten egg, and then back in the flour again.
- Drop each chicken piece in the hot oil and cook until the skin turns golden brown and goes crisp.
- This should only take a couple of minutes.
- Take the chicken out of the oil using tongs and drain on a paper towel-lined platter.
This delicious deep fried chicken recipe will definitely appeal to your family. The chicken is juicy and delicious and the batter is hot, crispy and bursting with flavor. The mustard seeds are optional but if you like your chicken well spiced they might be a welcome addition to this deep fried chicken recipe. The cayenne pepper also adds a nice flavor. This is one of many deep fried chicken recipes that makes a great dinner because this recipe is easy to follow, tastes delicious and it is economical to make. Fried chicken appeals to all ages and this deep fried chicken recipe is sure to be a hit.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 04-05-16
Leave a Reply
- Braised Goose Breast with Spicy Honey Orange Cointreau Sauce May 10, 2016
- Pheasant and Pork Pie May 9, 2016
- Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon May 6, 2016
- Rosemary Roasted Partridge with Bacon April 26, 2016
- Roasted Mallard Duck Breast April 26, 2016
- Turkey Meatballs in Pineapple Curry April 23, 2016
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin April 13, 2016
- Site Update Announcement on Our Progress April 6, 2016
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry Served with Basmati Rice April 4, 2016
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts April 3, 2016
- Breaded Chicken Tenders Recipe (214690 Views)
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts (182176 Views)
- Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe – Extra Crispy Fried Chicken (156627 Views)
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe (70751 Views)
- Home (63392 Views)
- Milk and Egg Makes This Fried Chicken Batter Thick and Crispy Yet Tender and Juicy (39958 Views)
- Cashew Chicken Recipe (34460 Views)
- Authentic Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe (32961 Views)
- Heavy Batter Southern Fried Chicken with Garlic (21804 Views)
- Easy Fried Chicken Wings with Mexican Bean Salad (21798 Views)