A Tasty Southern Deep Fried Chicken Recipe for the Whole Family
This is a simple deep frying method for chicken. If you want to enjoy your southern fried chicken at room temperature, this is a very good way to cook it because the meat stays crispy for longer, making this idea for buffets, boxed lunches or any time when the chicken is going to cool down or be served chilled. You can choose from peanut oil or lard but lard is the more traditional way if you want to stick to an authentic southern fried chicken recipe.
The chicken is coated in seasoned flour, with a little paprika added for color and a spicy zing, and then the chicken is deep fried in the melted lard until it is crispy and golden brown. This is a traditional southern deep fried chicken recipe. There is no buttermilk or egg coating before the seasoned flour goes on. This is enough to keep it crispy and delicious.
If you have any chicken left over, you can wrap it well, freeze it, and refry it later. If you plan to do this, you will need to use a cooking oil with a high smoke point, such as peanut oil. If you want a real southern deep fried chicken recipe, you have found a great one right here! This fried chicken recipe is full of flavor.
- 1 fryer chicken with skin, cut into 8 pieces
- Peanut oil or lard for deep frying
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon paprika or cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pre heat oil in deep fryer to 350° to 375° F..
- Wash the chicken with cold water, both inside and outside, and drain it well.
- Put enough lard in a heavy pot to cover the chicken pieces. Heat the lard to 370 degrees F over a medium high heat. Put a wire rack on a baking sheet and set it aside.
- Mix together the salt, black pepper, flour and paprika in a bag and shake to mix.
- Add the chicken pieces, one at a time, to coat them in the flour mixture.
- Lower the chicken into the fat one piece at a time, using tongs.
- Make sure the temperature stays between 365° and 375 degrees F and do not crowd the pot.
- Fry the chicken pieces until they are golden brown, turning them occasionally. This will take about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the done pieces to the wire rack.
- Remove any debris from the fat with a slotted spoon and keep frying the other chicken pieces.
- Serve hot or warm.
You can see this appealing, golden brown colored deep fried chicken in the photo, hot and crisp and ready to eat. When you deep fry chicken, the results are always phenomenal and making southern deep fried chicken in the traditional style guarantees a wonderful meal. Serve this fried chicken with any sides you fancy and your whole family will beg you to make this delicious deep fried chicken recipe again and again. There is nothing like authentic southern fried chicken to satisfy even the hungriest person and this recipe won’t let you down. This chicken is great served hot or warm.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 04-05-16
One Response to A Tasty Southern Deep Fried Chicken Recipe for the Whole Family
Leave a Reply
- Braised Goose Breast with Spicy Honey Orange Cointreau Sauce May 10, 2016
- Pheasant and Pork Pie May 9, 2016
- Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon May 6, 2016
- Rosemary Roasted Partridge with Bacon April 26, 2016
- Roasted Mallard Duck Breast April 26, 2016
- Turkey Meatballs in Pineapple Curry April 23, 2016
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin April 13, 2016
- Site Update Announcement on Our Progress April 6, 2016
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry Served with Basmati Rice April 4, 2016
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts April 3, 2016
- Breaded Chicken Tenders Recipe (214740 Views)
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts (191017 Views)
- Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe – Extra Crispy Fried Chicken (156718 Views)
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe (70831 Views)
- Home (63414 Views)
- Milk and Egg Makes This Fried Chicken Batter Thick and Crispy Yet Tender and Juicy (40004 Views)
- Cashew Chicken Recipe (34501 Views)
- Authentic Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe (33027 Views)
- Heavy Batter Southern Fried Chicken with Garlic (21841 Views)
- Easy Fried Chicken Wings with Mexican Bean Salad (21824 Views)