Low-Fat Fried Chicken Recipes without Batter or Breadcrumbs
Sometimes it is nice to make a traditional fried chicken recipe with a thick and crispy batter coating, golden brown breadcrumbs or a nice, richly flavored seasoned flour crust. Other times it is good to make a pan fried chicken recipe without this coating.
The crispy exterior is associated with fried chicken and especially famous fried chicken recipes like KFC chicken and the like. However, chicken is incredibly versatile to cook with and you can simply season it or marinate it and cook it that way. Pan frying is the best cooking method if you are not coating the chicken because deep fried uncoated chicken would be greasy since there is no coating to stop the oil soaking into the meat.
Add Seasonings, Herbs and Spices for Flavor
You can use lemon or lime juice as a seasoning for non-coated fried chicken recipes, or another liquid if you want. This adds flavor and it also gives your selected herbs and spices something to stick to. Salt and pepper are used in most fried chicken recipes that call for seasoning but you might like to use poultry seasoning instead. This comes in lots of different flavors and you can also make your own.
Thyme, garlic, rosemary, oregano, basil and sage are other options but of course it depends on the end flavor you are looking for and what you are serving the chicken with.
Serve pan fried chicken recipes with any favorite side dishes. You can choose from mashed potatoes, roast potatoes, potato wedges, rice, pasta or even a couple of hash browns. Green beans, baked beans, corn on the cob, coleslaw or salad are also good with such a dish. You might want to make a sauce for the fried chicken recipe. Alternatively if you cook it right it will be succulent and juicy already so a sauce is an option rather than a requirement for such a recipe.
How Do Low Fat Fried Chicken Recipes Really Taste?
Perhaps you are watching your figure or trying to cut down your fat intake. That does not have to mean the end of southern classic fried chicken for you. In fact there are lots of flavorful low fat fried chicken recipes to choose from. How does low fat southern classic fried chicken taste though? Actually a lot of people really like it.
Pan frying chicken in a little vegetable oil instead of submerging it in a pan full of shortening can produce rich and tasty chicken with a crispy crust and if you are watching your fat intake your body will thank you for it.
Reduced Fat Southern Fried Chicken
As well as pan frying your chicken there are some other things to do to reduce the fat. Don’t use an egg mixture, buttermilk or cream on the chicken before frying it to save a few calories. A flour or breadcrumb crust can add calories too so you might like to make a seasoning with lemon juice, salt, pepper and a couple of herbs or spices and then pan fry the chicken. This is tasty, especially when teamed with a couple of healthy side dishes like corn on the cob or green beans.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 04-04-16
Leave a Reply
- Braised Goose Breast with Spicy Honey Orange Cointreau Sauce May 10, 2016
- Pheasant and Pork Pie May 9, 2016
- Homemade Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon May 6, 2016
- Rosemary Roasted Partridge with Bacon April 26, 2016
- Roasted Mallard Duck Breast April 26, 2016
- Turkey Meatballs in Pineapple Curry April 23, 2016
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Pumpkin April 13, 2016
- Site Update Announcement on Our Progress April 6, 2016
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry Served with Basmati Rice April 4, 2016
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts April 3, 2016
- Breaded Chicken Tenders Recipe (214699 Views)
- Chicken Stir Fry with Red Pepper Broccoli and Cashew Nuts (182866 Views)
- Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe – Extra Crispy Fried Chicken (156631 Views)
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe (70760 Views)
- Home (63397 Views)
- Milk and Egg Makes This Fried Chicken Batter Thick and Crispy Yet Tender and Juicy (39962 Views)
- Cashew Chicken Recipe (34464 Views)
- Authentic Kentucky Style Fried Chicken Recipe (32969 Views)
- Heavy Batter Southern Fried Chicken with Garlic (21806 Views)
- Easy Fried Chicken Wings with Mexican Bean Salad (21804 Views)